Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My name is Melissa Jackson.....

Good Morning Everyone:

My name is Melissa Jackson and I will be teaching the Double Irish Chain class on September 17th from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.  I thought I might introduce myself to you so we can get acquainted.

I began quilting in January of 2007.  I am a certified public accountant by profession and a major quilting enthusiast.  I went to the Williamson County Fair in the fall of 2006 and began talking to the ladies where the quilts were being displayed.  They told me about a beginners quilting class at a quilt store in Franklin, TN.  The next day, I found the store and went in and talked to the proprietors about the specifics of the class.  I explained to them that I had never so much as turned on a sewing machine in my life, never sewed a stitch, etc.  They said no problem, just be sure you know how to operate the sewing machine you bring to class, and we will handle the rest.  After talking to my sister in Florida, I became marginally familiar with how to operate the sewing machine, and off to class I went.  Now many people thought it was a little bit odd for a tax accountant to be taking a quilting class during tax season, but I have always been one who thrives on deadlines.

Six weeks later, I had finished my first quilt, and had already begun a second quilt for my mother-in-law. That September, I decided to participate in the Middle Tennessee Shop Hop mostly because I wondered about the other shops I had never visited.  It was during this Shop Hop I found The Quilting Frame.  It was fascination at first site between me and Ms. Sandra's computerized long arm quilting machine.  After I kept turning up like a bad penny, ostensibly to get quilting done but more often than not to talk to her about how to operate her machine, we struck up a bargain.  I would give her some help with her accounting needs and she would give me lessons in using her long arm quilter.  It was from this a great friendship was born.  That has been two years ago, and in the past two years I have been blessed to meet so many of Ms. Sandra's clients bringing in many, many beautiful quilting projects for us to admire.  For those of you who don't know me by name, you may have seen me down at her shop on most Saturdays behind the quilting machine having fun (I refuse to call it work, because trust me, it ain't........).

The pattern I have chosen for the class is actually the first pattern and the first pattern book I purchased, believe it or not before I ever took my first class.  I thought it was just beautiful, all the small squares making up the big picture, but hadn't a clue how to go about making it.  Fortunately, earlier this year, I pulled it out and the production began.  It turned out to be a very simple, strip piecing project that came together quickly.  Everyone who sees the quilt thinks it had to be so hard to put together, when in reality using strip piecing, it was a piece of cake.  I am going to include a few pictures of the projects I have talked about, and hope you enjoy them.  I look forward to seeing anyone interested in my class on September 17th.  If I don't see you then, please make sure and stop by the shop so we can meet you at your convenience.


Double Irish Chain Quilt

Close up view of the Double Irish Chain

This is a quilt I designed from the scraps I had left over from making the Double Irish Chain  Quilt.

Close up view of the scrap quilt above.



Have a great rest of your day!

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment